About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- FACULTY DIRECTORY
- LECTURERS IN LAW DIRECTORY
- EXPERTS DIRECTORY
- FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- SCHOLARSHIP AND PUBLICATIONS
- DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS
- + CENTERS AND INITIATIVES
- CENTER FOR LAW AND PHILOSOPHY (CLP)
- CENTER FOR LAW AND SOCIAL SCIENCE (CLASS)
- CENTER FOR LAW, HISTORY AND CULTURE (CLHC)
- CENTER FOR TRANSNATIONAL LAW AND BUSINESS (CTLB)
- INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM INSTITUTE (IRI)
- PACIFIC CENTER FOR HEALTH POLICY AND ETHICS
- SAKS INSTITUTE FOR MENTAL HEALTH LAW, POLICY, AND ETHICS
- + WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCES
Felipe Jiménez works in the areas of private law, legal theory and comparative private law. He teaches contracts, and upper-level seminars and undergraduate classes on private law, legal reasoning and legal theory.
Jiménez graduated, summa cum laude, from Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, and holds LLM (Legal Theory) and JSD degrees from New York University. He has also worked as a lawyer specialized in international arbitration and commercial litigation in Chile and the United States.
Jiménez has written articles on contract theory, the theory of adjudication and jurisprudence. His work in Spanish also includes articles and book chapters on Chilean private law and on legal theory. His work has appeared or is forthcoming in the University of Toronto Law Journal, the Utah Law Review, the American Journal of Jurisprudence, Ratio Juris, Revista Chilena de Derecho, and Revista Chilena de Derecho Privado.
Works in Progress
- "Two Questions for Private Law Theory," (in progress) - (SSRN)
- "The Grounds of Arbitral Authority," (in progress) - (SSRN)
- "Legal Principles, Law, and Tradition," (in progress) - (SSRN)
- "Rethinking Contract Remedies," (in progress) - (SSRN)
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Law, Morality, and the One-System View: A Response to T.R.S. Allan," forthcoming The American Journal of Jurisprudence (2021).
- "Contracts, Markets, and Justice," 71 (1) University of Toronto Law Journal 144 (2021). - (www) - (SSRN)
- "A Formalist Theory of Contract Law Adjudication," 2020 (5) Utah Law Review 1121 (2020). - (PDF)
- "Against Parochialism in Contract Theory: A Response to Brian Bix," 32 (2) Ratio Juris 233 (2019). - (SSRN) - (www)
- Book Review: "La Forma del Derecho," (with Martin Hevia) 15 (2) International Journal of Constitutional Law 578 (2017). - (www)
- "Ni Función ni Estructura: Una respuesta a la idea de justicia constitucional de Fernando Atria," (with Sergio Verdugo) in Comentarios a La Forma del Derecho (J. Gallego ed., 2020). - (SSRN)
- "¿Es el enriquecimiento injustificado un principio de justicia?," in Fundamentos Filosóficos del Derecho Civil Chileno (E. Pereira ed., Rubicon, 2019).
- "Una crítica a la idea de incumplimiento eficiente desde el Derecho de Contratos," 29 Revista Chilena De Derecho Privado 99 (2017). - (Hein)
- "Comentario a la sentencia de Corte de Apelaciones de Santiago Rol No. 2259-2010, 6 de mayo de 2011," in Contratos: Jurisprudencia Civil Comentada (P. Cornejo and J. Larrocau eds., 2017).
- "La Teoría del Derecho de Contratos y su Relación con la Dogmática," 44 (2) Revista Chilena De Derecho 395 (2017). - (Hein) - (www)
- "Dos implicancias de la igualdad relacional," 144 Estudios Públicos 31 (2017). - (www)
- Book Review: "¿Por qué obligan los contratos?," 22 (2) Ius Et Praxis 531 (2016). - (www)
FACULTY IN THE NEWS
Jody Armour was interviewed about the lack of change in the LAPD thirty years after the savage assault on Rodney King. "So many activists are calling for defunding the police because the changes that have occurred in cosmetics have not made real changes in how many Angelenos and marginalized communities are experiencing policing," he said.
Thomas D. Lyon
“Understanding expert testimony on child sexual abuse denial after New Jersey v. J.L.G.: Ground truth, disclosure suspicion bias, and disclosure substantiation bias,” (with Shanna Williams & Stacia N. Stolzenberg) Behavioral Sciences & the Law 38 (2020).
“Choice of Law and the Art World” (with Anja Shortland), The Global Law Market (conference), CEGLA Center, Tel Aviv University.
“Art Theft and the Art Loss Register: Law, Norms & Institutions” (with Anja Shortland), Departmental Seminar, Economics Subject Group, Management School, Queens University Belfast.