About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- FACULTY DIRECTORY
- LECTURERS IN LAW DIRECTORY
- EXPERTS DIRECTORY
- FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- SCHOLARSHIP AND PUBLICATIONS
- DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS
- + CENTERS
- CENTER FOR LAW AND PHILOSOPHY (CLP)
- CENTER FOR LAW AND SOCIAL SCIENCE (CLASS)
- CENTER FOR LAW, HISTORY AND CULTURE (CLHC)
- CENTER FOR TRANSNATIONAL LAW AND BUSINESS (CTLB)
- INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM INSTITUTE (IRI)
- PACIFIC CENTER FOR HEALTH POLICY AND ETHICS
- SAKS INSTITUTE FOR MENTAL HEALTH LAW, POLICY, AND ETHICS
- WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCES
Professor of Preventive Medicine and Law, Director, Program on Global Health and Human Rights, Institute for Global Health
Last Updated: Thursday, July 5, 2018Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: (323) 865-0826
699 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90089-0074 USA Personal Website: Link
- Leading the Realization of Human Rights to Health and Through Health. Report of the high-level working group on the health and human rights of women, children and adolescents. (World Health Organization, 2017).
- Health and Human Rights in a Changing World (with M. Grodin, D, Tarantola, and G. Annas, eds.) (Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2013).
- Perspectives in Health and Human Rights (with M. Grodin, G. Annas, and S.P. Marks, eds.) (Routledge,Taylor & Francis Group, 2005).
- Health and Human Rights: A Reader (with J. Mann, M. Grodin, and G. Annas, eds.) (New York: Routledge, 1999).
- “Killed by Police: Quantifying Misclassification in Vital Statistics and Validating Media-Based Demographic Data (Massachusetts, 2004-2016)” (with J. Feldman, B. Coull, and N. Krieger N). American Journal of Public Health (2017).
- “Engaging Human Rights in the Evolving Zika Virus Epidemic” (with J. Rasantham and S. MacCarthy). American Journal of Public Health, vol. 107, no. 4, p. 525 (2017).
- “Human Rights, Gender and Infectious Disease: From HIV/AIDS to Ebola” (with L. Stemple and P. Karegeya). Human Rights Quarterly, vol. 38, p. 993 (2016).
- “Monitoring HIV-Related Laws and Policies: Lessons for AIDS and Global Health in Agenda 2030” (with M. Torres et al). AIDS and Behavior, vol. 21, no. 1, p. 1 (2016).
- “No ‘Shared Governance’ Without Attention to Law, Broadly Conceived” (with A. Capron). American Journal of Bioetics, vol. 16, no. 10, p. 54 (2016).
- “Human Rights and the Sexual and Reproductive Health of Women Living with HIV – A Literature Review” (with Shubha Kumar et al). Journal of the International Aids Society, vol.18, supplement 5, p. 17 (December 2015).
- “Men’s Violence Against Women and Men Are Inter-Related: Recommendations for Simultaneous Intervention” (with Paul J. Fleming et al). Special Issue, Social Science & Medicine, vol. 146, , p. 249 (2015).
- “Sexual Rights as Human Rights: A Guide to Authoritative Sources and Principles for Applying Human Rights to Sexuality and Sexual Health” (with Alice M. Miller et al). Reproductive Health Matters, vol. 23, no. 46, p. 16 (2015).
- “Sound and Fury – Engaging with the Politics and the Law of Sexual Rights” (with Alice M. Miller et al). Reproductive Health Matters, vol. 23, no. 46, p. 7 (2015).
- “Advancing Sexual Health Through Human Rights: The Role of the Law” (with Eszter Kismoedi, Jane Cottingham, and Alice M. Miller). Special Issue, Global Public Health, vol.10, no. 2, p. 252 (2015).
- “Air Pollution, Health, and Human Rights” (with Jonathan M. Samet). Lancet Respiratory Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, p. 98 (2015).
- “Applying Human Rights-Based Approaches to Public Health: Lessons Learned from Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Programs” (with Allison Smith-Estelle and Laura Ferguson). Etude de la Population Africaine, vol. 29, no. 1 p. 1713 (2015).
- “Is the Right to Health Compatible with Sustainability?” (with Daniel D. Reidpath and Pascale Allotey). Journal of Global Health, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 010301 (2015).
- “Reproductive Justice and the Pace of Change: Socioeconomic Trends in US Infant Death Rates by Legal Status of Abortion, 1960-1980” (with Nancy Krieger et al). American Journal of Public Health, vol. 105, no. 4, p. 680 (2015).
- “Searching for Justice and Health” (with Daniel Tarantola and Kenneth Camargo). American Journal of Public Health, vol. 105, no. 8, p. 1511(2015).
- “The HIV Care Cascade: Models, Measures and Moving Forward” (with Sarah MacCarthy et al). Journal of the International AIDS Society, vol. 18, no. 1, p. 19395 (2015).
- “Why History Matters for Quantitative Target Setting: Long-Term Trends in Socioeconomic and Racial/ Ethnic Inequities in US Infant Death Rates (1960-2010)” (with Nancy Krieger et al). Journal of Public Health Policy, vol. 36, no. 3, p. 287 (2015).
- “Climate Change and Human Rights: Roles, Responsibilities, and Action” (with Madhury Ray). Human Rights Defender, vol. 23, no. 1, p. 14 (2014).
- “Global Health Justice.” Review of Global Health Law, by Lawrence O. Gostin. Lancet vol. 384, no. 9947, p. 945 (2014).
- “HIV and Gender-Based Violence: Welcome Policies and Programmes, But Is the Research Keeping Up?” (with Kelly Safreed-Harmon et al). Reproductive Health Matters, vol. 22, no. 44, p. 174 (2014).
- “What’s Pregnancy Got To Do with It? Late Presentation to HIV/AIDS Services in Northeastern Brazil.” AIDS Care, vol. 26, no. 12, p. 1514 (2014).
- "Realigning Government Action with Public Health Evidence: The Legal and Policy Environment Affecting Sex Work and HIV" (with G. Williams and L. Ferguson). Culture, Health and Sexuality, vol. 16, no. 1 p. 14 (2013).
- "Identifying Structural Barriers to an Effective HIV Response: Using 2010 NCPI Data to Evaluate the Human Rights, Legal and Policy Environment" (with L. Ferguson, T. Alverson, G. Peersman, and D. Rugg). Journal of the International AIDS Society, vol. 16, (2013).
- "Human Rights in Health Systems Frameworks: What is There, What is Missing and Why Does it Matter?" (with S. Ahmed et al). Global Public Health, vol. 7, no. 4, p. 337 (2011).
- "The Impacts of AIDS Movements on the Policy Responses to HIV/AIDS in Brazil and South Africa: A Comparative Analysis" (with A. Nunn, S. L. Dickman, and N. Nattras). Global Public Health, vol. 7, no. 20, p. 1031 (2012).
- "Are Drug Companies Living Up to Their Human Rights Responsibilities? Moving Toward Assessment." PLOS Medicine, vol. 7, no. 9 (2010).
- "Rights-Based Approaches to Health Policies and Programmers: Articulations, Ambiguities and Assessment" (with D. Bogecho and L. Ferguson). Journal of Public Health Policy, vol. 31, no. 2, p. 129 (2010).
- "Using Human Rights for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Improving Legal and Regulatory Frameworks" (with J. Cottingham et al). Bulletin of the World Organization, vol. 88, no. 7, p. 551 (2010).
- "Human Rights in the Global Response to HIV: Findings from the 2008 UNGASS Reports" (with L. Ferguson, G. Peersman, and D. Rugg). JAIDS, vol. 52, supplement 2, S104-S110 (2009).
- "Government Regulation of Sex and Sexuality: In Their Own Words" (with L. Ferguson). Reproductive Health Matters, vol. 17, no. 34, p. 108 (2009).
- "Using Indicators to Determine the Contribution of Human Rights to Public Health Efforts: Why? What? And How?" (with L. Ferguson). Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 87, no. 9, p. 714 (2009).
- "Justice and Human Rights: Priority Setting and Fair Deliberative Process" (with N. Daniels). American Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, no. 9, p. 1573 (2008).
- "Health, Development and Human Rights." Australian Journal of Human Rights, vol. 13, no. 2, p. 1 (2008).
"Blindspot: Faith-Based Discrimination and the Misinterpretation of Sherbert v. Verner," Conference on Law, Religion and Complicity, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ.
"The Great Patent Grab", The Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
"Parental Control Rights." In Philosophical Foundations of Children's and Family Law, edited by Elizabeth Brake & Lucinda Ferguson. New York: Oxford Univerity Press, 2018.