About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
USC Gould helps prepare you for a stellar legal career. You can pursue a JD degree, one of our numerous graduate and international offerings, or an online degree or certificate.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
USC Gould School of Law
- FACULTY DIRECTORY
- LECTURERS IN LAW DIRECTORY
- EXPERTS DIRECTORY
- FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- SCHOLARSHIP AND PUBLICATIONS
- DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS
- + CENTERS AND INITIATIVES
- CENTER FOR LAW AND PHILOSOPHY (CLP)
- CENTER FOR LAW AND SOCIAL SCIENCE (CLASS)
- CENTER FOR LAW, HISTORY AND CULTURE (CLHC)
- CENTER FOR TRANSNATIONAL LAW AND BUSINESS (CTLB)
- INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM INSTITUTE (IRI)
- PACIFIC CENTER FOR HEALTH POLICY AND ETHICS
- SAKS INSTITUTE FOR MENTAL HEALTH LAW, POLICY, AND ETHICS
- + WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCES
Lisa Klerman is a Clinical Professor of Law, and directs the USC Gould School of Law Mediation Clinic. The Mediation Clinic courses that she designed and developed received national recognition in 2011 when the Ninth Circuit Judicial Council honored USC Gould with its prestigious ADR Education Award. Klerman was also the Founding Director of the law school’s ADR Certificate Program, as well as the Center for Dispute Resolution.
In addition to her work at USC, Klerman is a professional mediator with her own private practice specializing in employment law mediations. Previously a partner in the employment law department at Morrison & Foerster, Klerman represented plaintiffs as well as defendants while she was a practicing attorney. Her achievements include several notable jury trials, as well as some high profile appellate cases.
Klerman is a frequent speaker on alternative dispute resolution, negotiation, mediation, employment law, and class actions. She has been interviewed by major publications and appeared as a legal commentator on NBC Nightly News, National Public Radio, the BBC, and other radio programs in both national and international broadcasts.
Klerman is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, where she received her BA degree with distinction. She received her JD degree from the University of Chicago, where she was a member of the University of Chicago Law Review.
- "Inside the Caucus: An Empirical Analysis of Mediation from Within" (with Daniel Klerman). Journal of Empirical Legal Studies 12 (2015): 686. - (PDF)
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution" (contributing author of Chapter 10). In Litigating Employment Discrimination Cases. (Costa Mesa, CA: James Publishing, 2006-2012 editions.)
- "California Supreme Court Holds That Coworkers Are Not Personally Liable For Sexual Harassment." Employment Law Commentary, January 2000.
- "California Supreme Court Issues Landmark Decision Permitting Mandatory Arbitration of Employment Disputes." Employment Law Commentary, September 2000.
- "The Role of the Jury and the Court in Assessing Front Pay Awards Under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act." University of Chicago Law Review 58 (1991): 1475. - (PDF)
FACULTY IN THE NEWS
"Saltwater Sovereignty: Tribal Marine Management Authority Along the Pacific Coast.” Online Environmental Law Workshop. University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD.
Robin Craig recorded a podcast for the Environmental Law Institute entitled "Sea Level Rise and the Law" on March 31, 2022.
“Comment on Choi, Erickson, & Pritchard, ‘Coalitions among Plaintiffs’ Attorneys in Securities Class Actions’,” Conference on Empirical Legal Studies, Virtual, Toronto, ON, Canada.