California Research Links
The Legislative Branch
- California Constitution - Hyperlinked full-text
- California Legislative Information - Provides official California legislative information including:
- California State Assembly - directories, legislative calendars, California code, a tour of the capitol and more.
- California State Senate - directory of Senators and committees, search text of bills, code, rules, legislative calendars, links to state agencies, California Senate District maps and more.
- Legislative Analyst's Office - LAO provides analysis and nonpartisan advice to the legislature on fiscal and policy issues.
- California Voter Foundation - Contains the California Online Voter Guide which provides the text of propositions
- California Law Revision Commission - The Commission's website provides their studies which substantively review California statutory and decisional law
- California Ballot Propositions Database - A comprehensive, searchable source of information on California ballot propositions from 1911 to the present with pdf format available
The Judicial Branch (Courts and Case Law)
Courts - The State of California Judicial
Branch Web site provides access to California
courts that have Web sites; explains the California
court system; provides jury duty information;
lists court-related publications, several of
which are available online; and provides information
on the activities of the Judicial Council and
the Administrative Office of the Courts.
- California Official Reports - Free electronic access to the official version of California case law.
- Judicial Council Forms - Official legal forms provided by the Judicial Council of California
- California Courts Self Help Center - Assistance in finding legal assistance, learning California law, working better with an attorney, and representing yourself in some legal matters
- California Case Law - Findlaw's collection of Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, California Supreme Court and California Court of Appeal cases from October 1934 to the present. Search by party name, key word or browse chronologically. Provides cases in both html and pdf
- United States District Court for the Central District of California - Contains rules, forms as well as selected recent opinions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit - Provides text of decisions back to 1995, court rules and other helpful information for practitioners.
- Los Angeles Superior Court - Contains court news, court rules, jurisdiction information, Superior Court forms, and a particularly helpful function called "Civil Calendar" that permits one to get information on a case by searching with the case number
- Appellate Counsellor Home Page - News about the federal and state appellate courts in California, including a monthly newsletter on recent decisions, judicial profiles and an online legal bookstore
The Executive Branch (Administrative Law)
- California Code of Regulations - Search by keyword or browse. Also provides contact information for every California agency.
- California Attorney General Opinions - Search Attorney General Opinions from 1986 to present
- California Secretary of State -Provides state election information, forms for business filings as well as California Business Search which provides records for California corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies
- State of California Administrative Manual - A reference source for statewide policies, procedures, regulations, and information for various state agencies
- California Franchise Tax Board - Provides California tax forms
- California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board - Contains information and forms on filing an appeal of an unemployment or disability benefits decision.
Municipal Web Pages
- California Municipal Codes and Ordinances - FindLaw's listing of California municipal codes and ordinances
- City of Los Angeles - Provides link to the City Charter, Council rules and City Codes
Legal Organization Web Pages
- Beverly Hills Bar Association - Membership Directory, Lawyer Referral Service, Database of Member Web Pages
- Los Angeles County Bar Association - Lawyer Referral Service, Selected Articles from Los Angeles Lawyer, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Information
- Orange County Bar Association - Selective articles from the Orange County Lawyer Magazine, Lawyer Referral Service and information about Orange County Bar Events
- State Bar of California - Information available online includes California Rules of Court, California Rules of Professional Conduct, MCLE rules and regulations, and Member Records Online (which provides attorney's name, address, e-mail, telephones, and fax numbers, date of admission to the California Bar, undergraduate and law schools attended and whether the member is entitled to practice law in California at this time)
- Women Lawyers of Los Angeles - Provides various links and a calendar of events
General Legal Resources
- Findlaw - Comprehensive legal resource site providing the California code, case law, legal forms, CLE information and much more information for California, other states and general legal information
- Lawyer Directory from Martindale - Martindale.com provides an array of resources for law students and legal support personnel, including access to free legal topics, professional resources, news & events and details on upcoming conferences.
- Attorney's Toolbox - Links to Internet resources that are of everyday use to practicing attorneys
- State of California - full-text of California Code, current bills, government publications and information
- Law.com California - Offers a complete daily briefing for California lawyers and their clients, the latest court cases from all appellate courts, topical updates and analysis from major law firms, plus links to California legal resources on the Internet and statewide job listings for lawyers; Law.com California is an online publication of The Recorder, one of California's leading legal newspapers
Last Updated: November 3, 2009