Professor of the Practice of LawUSC Gould School of Lawcpastore@law.usc.edu
Work: (213) 821-4410
Fax: (213) 740-5502
699 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90089-0074 USA Room: 448
last updated Wed, Apr 4, 2012
Professor Pastore co-chairs the California State Bar Access to Justice Commission’s Right to Counsel Task Force and is a member of the Amicus Briefs Committee and Professional Responsibility and Ethics Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar. She serves on the Board of Directors of the Wage Justice Center and is a past member of the American Bar Association’s Homelessness and Poverty Commission.
From 1989 to 2004, Professor Pastore was a staff attorney at the Western Center on Law and Poverty, where she litigated many state and federal cases involving poverty law and disability rights. She received one of the nation’s first Skadden Fellowships to begin her work there in 1989. She was also affiliated with the ACLU of Southern California as Senior Counsel from 2004 til 2007, and Of Counsel from 2007 until 2011. Professor Pastore holds a B.A. (Phi Beta Kappa) from Colgate University and a J.D. from Yale Law School, where she was a senior editor of the Yale Law Review. She clerked for Judge Marilyn Hall Patel, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, in 1988-89.
- "Email and Attorney-Client Privilege: Cautionary Tales for Employee and Employer" LA County Bar Update, April 2011.
- "A Right to Civil Counsel: Closer to Reality?" 42 Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review 1065 (2009).
- "Voices from the Underground Economy: The Experiences of Workers and Advocates Seeking Meal and Rest Breaks in Low-Wage Industries" (with D. Ballon, J. Kwan, & K. Kish), Bet Tzedek Legal Services, 2009.
- "Caperton v Massey Coal Co: Floodgates Opening or Stating the Obvious?" LA County Bar Update, September 2009.
- "Rescuing Legal Aid," Los Angeles Times, Feb 23, 2009.
- "New Federal Rule of Evidence 502: Help is on the Way" LA County Bar Update, December 2008.
- "What Advocates Need to Know After Recent U.S. Supreme Court Decisions in Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Cases" 41 Clearinghouse Review 345 (September-October 2007).
- "Life After Lassiter: An Overview of State Court Right to Counsel Decisions," 40 Clearinghouse Review 186 (July-August 2006).
- "The California Model Statute Task Force," 40 Clearinghouse Review 176 (July-August 2006).
- CalWORKs: A Comprehensive Guide to Welfare and Related Medi-Cal Issues for California Families (principal author & editor), Western Center on Law & Poverty 2000.
- Students & CalWORKs: A Guide to Educational Opportunities in the CalWORKs Program (co-author), Western Center on Law & Poverty 2003.