Leon Benwell Professor of Law, International Relations and Political ScienceUSC Gould School of Lawesmith@law.usc.edu
Work: (213) 740-2563
Fax: (213) 821-5915
699 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90089-0074 USA Room: 121
last updated Sat, May 25, 2013
Edwin Smith is a singular expert on international law, international relations theory and foreign relations law. He holds joint appointments as a professor of law and of international relations. Professor Smith teaches Public International Law, International Organizations, Contracts, and seminars on Foreign Relations Law, the Law of War and the United Nations.
Professor Smith’s publications include “Ralph Bunche: Peacemaking in Transition” in Ralph Johnson Bunche: A Nobel Peace Laureate Influencing public intellectualism and Diplomacy (University of Illinois Press, 2008), “Collective Security, Peacekeeping, and Ad Hoc Multilateralism” in Democratic Accountability and the Use of Force in International Law (Cambridge University Press, 2003) and The United Nations in a New World Order (with Schechter, Keck Center for International and Strategic Studies, Claremont McKenna College, 1994).
A magna cum laude graduate of
- The United Nations in a New World Order (with Michael G. Schechter) (Keck Center for International and Strategic Studies, Claremont McKenna College, 1994).
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Ralph Bunche: Peacemaking in Transition." In Ralph Johnson Bunche: A Nobel Peace Laureate Influencing Public Intellectualism and Diplomacy (Beverly Lindsay, ed.) (University of Illinois Press, 2008).
- "Collective Security, Peacekeeping, and Ad Hoc Multilateralism." In Democratic Accountability and the Use of Force in International Law (Charlotte Ku and Harold K. Jacobson, eds) (Cambridge University Press, 2003).
- “The Laws of War and Humanitarian Law: A Turbulent Vista.” 9 Global Governance 115 (2003). - (Hein)
- "Collective Security: Changing Conceptions and Institutional Adaptation." In Adapting the United Nations to a Post-Modern Era: Lessons Learned (W. Andy Knight, ed.) (Palgrave, 2001).
- "UN Task Sharing: Toward or Away from Global Governance?" (with Thomas G. Weiss). In Beyond UN Subcontracting: Task-Sharing with Regional Security Arrangements and Service-Providing NGOs (Thomas G. Weiss, ed.) (St. Martin's Press, Inc., 1998).
- "The Genocide Convention." In Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign Relations (Bruce W. Jentleson and Thomas G. Paterson, eds.) (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- "The War Powers Resolution." In Encyclopedia of U.S. Foreign Relations (Bruce W. Jentleson and Thomas G. Paterson, eds.) (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- "The United Nations and NATO: The Limits on Cooperation between International Organizations." In Trilateral Perspectives on International Legal Issues: Relevance of Domestic Law and Policy (Michael K. Young and Yuji Iwasawa, eds.) (Transnational Publishers, Inc., 1996).
- "The Justification of Intervention." In Los Estados y las Organizaciones Internacionales Ante Nuevo Contexto de la Seguriderden Europa (Fernando M. Marino, ed.) (Madrid: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, 1995).
- "Collective Security and Collective Defense: Changing Conceptions and Institutions." In The United Nations in a New World Order (The Keck Center for International and Strategic Studies, 1993).
- "The United Nations: Meeting the Challenges of the Post-Cold War World" (with Keith R. Krause and Brian Urquhart). 1993 Proceedings of the Annual Meeting - American Society of International Law 268. - (Hein)
- "The Need for Effective Multilateral Sanctions." 1992 Proceedings of the Annual Meeting - American Society of International Law 303. - (Hein)
- "Understanding Dynamic Obligations: Arms Control Agreements. 64 Southern California Law Review 1549 (1991). - (Hein)
- "Commentary on Arms Control Agreements and Dynamic Obligations." In Law and Force in the New International Order (Damrosch and D. Scheffer, eds.) (Westview, 1991).
- "Congressional Authorization of Nuclear First Use: Problems of Implementation." In Proceedings of Airline House Conference on First Use of Nuclear Weapons: Under the Constitution, Who Decides? (P. Raven-Hansen, ed.) (Greenwood Press, 1987).