Niels W. Frenzen
Clinical Professor of LawUSC Gould School of Lawnfrenzen@law.usc.edu
Work: (213) 740-8933
Fax: (213) 740-5502
699 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90089-0074 USA Room: 428
last updated Thu, Aug 1, 2013
Niels Frenzen specializes in immigration law and is director of the USC Law Immigration Clinic. He has been teaching at USC since 2000 and practicing law since 1985.
Professor Frenzen has represented hundreds of asylum seekers and other immigrants, and has litigated numerous federal court cases challenging the mistreatment of noncitizens. He also has litigated immigration court national security cases involving classified evidence. He has participated in human rights delegations on behalf of Amnesty International USA, the International Association of Democratic Lawyers and other human rights organizations.
Prior to joining USC, Professor Frenzen practiced with nonprofit law offices in
Articles and Book Chapters
- "U.S. Migrant Interdiction Practices in International and Territorial Waters." In Extraterritorial Immigration Control: Legal Challenges (Bernard Ryan and Valsamis Mitsilegas, eds.) (Leiden Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2010).
- “Recent Developments on the INS’ Use of Secret Evidence Against Aliens.” In Immigration & Nationality Law Handbook (Vol. II) (American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2001) (co-author).
- “National Security and Procedural Fairness: Secret Evidence and the Immigration Laws.” In Interpreter Releases: Report and Analysis of Immigration and Nationality Law (Vol. 76, No. 45) (West Group, 1999).
- "Selected Evidentiary Issues Relating to Deportation Proceedings." In Immigration & Nationality Law Handbook (Vol. II, Advanced Practice) (R. Patrick Murphy and others, eds.) (American Immigration Lawyers Association, 1994).
- "Selected Uses of the Habeas Corpus Petition." In Immigration & Nationality Law Handbook (Vol. II, Advanced Topics) (R. Patrick Murphy and others, eds.) (American Immigration Lawyers Association, 1991).
- "Cuban-Haitian Adjustment Provisions and IRCA." In Legalization - The Advocate's Guide to the New Immigration Law (Bill Ong Hing, ed.) (Immigrant Legal Resource Center, 1987).
- "An Overview of Contesting Deportability." In Contesting Deportability (Dan Kesselbrenner, ed.) (National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild, 1987).