Robert C. and Nanette T. Packard Professor of LawUSC Gould School of Lawsbice@law.usc.edu
Work: (213) 740-4549
Fax: (213) 740-5502
699 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90089-0074 USA Room: 316
last updated Thu, May 2, 2013
Scott Bice joined the USC Law faculty in 1969, after serving as a clerk to Chief Justice Earl Warren of the U.S. Supreme Court. He teaches Constitutional Law, Federal Jurisdiction and Torts. Constitutional theory and federal jurisdiction are among his scholarly interests. His published articles include “Rationality Analysis in Constitutional Law” (Minnesota Law Review, 1980) and “Standards of Judicial Review in American Constitutional Law — Equal Protection and Due Process Illustrations” (Wissenschaftsrecht Wissenschaftsverwaltung Wissenschaftsforderung, September 1978).
Prof. Bice, who served as dean of USC Law from 1980-2000, was appointed by the Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court to serve on the California Judicial Council's Commission on the Future of the Courts. He was president and director of the Association of American Law Deans, and he is a life member of the American Law Institute and a life fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Prof. Bice has twice been awarded the USC Associates Award for Excellence in Teaching. In 2007, he received the William A. Rutter Distinguished Teaching Award. He has served as associate dean for academic affairs and as the Carl Mason Franklin professor Law at USC Law; as a visiting professor of law and social science at the California Institute of Technology; and as a visiting professor of law at the University of Virginia School of Law. He received his B.S. in finance from the University of Southern California and his J.D. from USC Law, where he was editor-in-chief of the Southern California Law Review.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Good Vision, Overstated Criticism.” 1 Journal of the Association of Legal Writing Directors 109 (2002). - (Hein)
- "In Celebration of the Law School Centennial." 74 Southern California Law Review 1 (2000). - (Hein)
- "A Tribute to Vice Dean Jerry Wiley." 70 Southern California Law Review 1611 (1997). - (Hein)
- "Tribute to David Carroll" (with others). 67 Southern California Law Review 1 (1993). - (Hein)
- "Delegation of Power." In The Encyclopedia of the American Constitution (L.W. Levy, ed.), 2d ed. (Macmillan, 1990).
- "Legislative Intent." In The Encyclopedia of the American Constitution (L.W. Levy, ed.) (Macmillan, 1986).
- "William E. Burby: An Inspiring Example." 19 California Western Law Review xxi (Summer 1983). - (Hein)
- "Congress' Power to Confer Standing in the Federal Courts." In Constitutional Government in America (R.K.L. Collins, ed.) (Carolina Academic Press, 1980).
- "Introduction" (with L.G. Simon) (Symposium: Conference on Comparative Constitutional Law). 53 Southern California Law Review 401 (1980). - (Hein)
- "Rationality Analysis in Constitutional Law." 65 Minnesota Law Review 1 (1980). - (Hein)
- "Studying the Court of Justice: What Messages for Federal Jurisdiction?" (Symposium: Conference on Comparative Constitutional Law). 53 Southern California Law Review 527 (1980). - (Hein)
- "Consolidation of Individual Claims." In Access to Justice in the United States (M. Cappelletti and B. Garth, eds.) (Italy: Institute of Comparative Law, 1978).
- "Motivational Analysis as a Complete Explanation of the Justification Process" (Symposium: Legislative Motivation). 15 San Diego Law Review 1131 (1978). - (Hein)
- "Standards of Judicial Review in American Constitutional Law -- Equal Protection and Due Process Illustrations" ("Constitutional Aspects of Access to Higher Education"). 11 Wissenschaftsrecht Wissenschaftsverwaltung Wissenschaftsforderung 171 (Beiheft 6, September 1978).
- "Standards of Judicial Review Under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses." 50 Southern California Law Review 689 (1977). - (Hein)