About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- JURIS DOCTOR (JD) DEGREE
- + CURRICULUM
- CURRICULUM OVERVIEW
- JD DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- CLASS RANK AND GRADING
- CLINICS AND PRACTICUMS
- DUAL DEGREES
- STUDY ABROAD
- DATES AND DEADLINES
- CLASS PROFILE
- + TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
- COST OF ATTENDANCE
- COST AND VALUE
- TYPES OF AID
- FRANK ROTHMAN SCHOLARS
- PUBLIC INTEREST SCHOLARS
- HONORS SCHOLARS
- FIRST GENERATION PROFESSIONALS
- LOAN REPAYMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (LRAP)
- EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- RECRUITMENT EVENTS
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- + ALTERNATE ADMISSIONS PATHS
- BINDING EARLY DECISION
- 3+3 ACCELERATED BACHELOR/JD
- TWO-YEAR JURIS DOCTOR (JD) FOR INTERNATIONAL LAWYERS
- LLM TO JD TRANSFER
- TRANSFER STUDENTS
- VISITING STUDENTS
- HOUSING AND TRANSPORTATION
- ABA REQUIRED DISCLOSURES
- CONTACT US
To aid students interested in pursuing careers in public service and public interest law, USC Gould created the Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) in 1987. Since then, we have:
- sought to ensure that post-graduation employment options are not dictated by student loan obligations
- recognized the legal community's responsibility to provide services to people who cannot otherwise afford representation
- encouraged our graduates to pursue public interest or public service careers
If you accept employment with low-paying public interest organizations and government agencies, or hold a judicial clerkship position, LRAP can provide you with assistance in repaying your student loans. You will be expected to apply a specified percentage of your earnings toward your educational loan repayments, with USC Gould making an LRAP loan for the remainder.
The amount of LRAP assistance will depend upon your income and total student loan payment obligations. For married couples, income is calculated by using the graduate's income or averaging the amounts earned by both spouses, whichever is higher. In addition, we consider whether you have dependent children in determining your eligibility.
If your total annual income is $55,000 or less, you will not be expected to make any contributions toward your loan repayment. The LRAP loan will cover the full amount of minimum monthly loan payments.
If you remain eligible and participate in LRAP for five years, your entire LRAP loan may be forgiven. If you participate for fewer than five years, your LRAP loan may be partially forgiven. The partial-forgiveness schedule can be found on the LRAP application.
The LRAP year runs from October 1 to September 30 and a new application for assistance is required annually.
Other ways to pay off your student loans
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Who Qualifies: Public service workers with federal Stafford, Grad PLUS, or consolidation loans in the Direct Loan program.
- What Could You Get: Full loan forgiveness after 10 years of on-time payments.
- More Information
Income-based repayment (IBR)
- Who Qualifies: Federal student loan borrowers with either Direct or FFEL loans.
- What Could You Get: Payment based on your income and family size. IBR will also forgive remaining debt, if any, after 25 years of qualifying payments, even if not in public service career.
- More Information
Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
- Who Qualifies: All federal student loan borrowers.
- What Could You Get: Caps your monthly payments on federal loans at 10% of your discretionary income. In addition, your outstanding debt is forgiven after 20 years of on-time payments, even if not in public service career.
- More Information
- Who Qualifies: Those who move to live and work in rural Kansas, Niagara Falls, NY, and several other communities.
- What Could You Get: It varies, but the forgiveness can be between $3,500 and $5,000 annually for up to 5 years.
- More Information
Equal Justice Works (EJW) Educational Debt Relief Program
The EJW Educational Debt Relief program is devoted to advocating for student debt relief and spreading the word to make sure those who need relief are taking the right steps to qualify. EJW detailed and user-friendly resources are available to help prospective students, current students and graduates; school advisors and administrators; and employers.
Start the online application process.
Schedule a Tour
Come experience life at USC Gould.
Visit a Classroom
Sit in on a real class session.
Browse our Viewbook
Download our informative viewbook.
Check Application Status
Check your application status online.
Meet your JD student ambassadors.
Admitted Students Portal
Log in to our admitted students portal.
Still have questions? Let us help.